Mounds of fun at Mounds Fall Fest

Corrin Wilson, center, and Taviaon English, both of Mounds, wait for candy to be thrown Oct. 13 during the Mounds Fall Fest parade. The festival, which was held at the Gwen Chambliss Park in Mounds, included a parade, baseball game and food vendors. “I loved the parade,” Wilson said. “I got enough candy that I could share with my little cousin who didn’t get very much.” –Lynnette Oostmeyer

Ramblin’ Man: October 11, 2012

by: David Porter

Everyone who knows me knows that I’m not a real happy-go-lucky kind of guy. Oh, I’m easy going enough; I’m just pretty serious most of the time. So, naturally, my secret desire is to do stand-up comedy.
It would probably help to be funny first. That’s a hurdle.
My family is sort of my anti-support because even when I think I’m being funny, they insist that I am not. I think they believe my failure on stage would somehow be a reflection on them. They are already picking out new names for themselves and looking at far-flung places on the map where they might be able to move so they can resume a new life free of shame.
But here’s the deal. Secret ambition is almost always difficult and is often opposite of what comes easy to a person. If it weren’t tough, it wouldn’t be a secret ambition. It’d just be an ambition.
This afternoon, in the coffee shop, the subject of stand-up came up. It turns out that some of my friends also have a desire to be comedians, which I guess should come as no surprise since they aren’t funny, either.
We all know people who are just funny all the time. They’re always grinning, chuckling and telling funny stories. They’re the life of the party even when there is no party. You’d think those people would make great comedians. But, maybe not.
People like that are generally spontaneous, and stand-up comedy routines usually aren’t. They’re scripted and rehearsed. It’s all about timing and knowing what works. You have to be able to read an audience and make adjustments on the fly, but there is still at least a framework to work from.
Funny people would be better at improvisational comedy, perhaps. But a polished routine is much like acting. Acting takes control. The comedy sincerity is faked. It can be hard for a spontaneous person to fake that.
Then there’s a matter of content. You can be great at telling a joke, but are you great at writing a joke? And can you get the joke that works hilariously in your head to work vocally on a stage? Now throw in facial expressions, body language and props. It all has to work together.
I think it would be a great challenge. For a lot of people, including me, just standing on a stage and talking to people is a frightening idea. Now you have to entertain them? Make them laugh? I feel like if I can do that, I can do anything.
Right now, I believe I can do it, and that’s enough for me. Actually attempting it would prove whether I could do it, and that’s a 50/50 proposition at best. But as long as I don’t do it, I believe 100 percent that I can do it. In this sense, “trying” is overrated.
If you’re already at 100 percent, why risk losing that if succeeding can’t add anything to what you already have?
Schoolteachers and optimists everywhere are cursing me. We’re conditioned all our lives to think that trying is the important thing. No. Succeeding and not losing are the important things. In order to make trying worthwhile, there has to be a substantial reward.
However, I think I may have my motivation. While I already have 100 percent confidence in myself, others have zero belief that I could be a stand-up comedian. So, my reward is changing their minds and proving them wrong. And when that becomes important to me, I’ll give it a try.

Smiles News: October 11, 2012

by: Jeanne Taylor

October 2012 Events

5-John Goins’s 91st Birthday Party

8-Site Closed for Columbus Day

9-Flu Shots by Nurse Marla, So.7 Health Dept.

10-Music by Joe & Friends

11-Senior Fest, Shawnee College, Ullin, IL.

12-Music by the K&I Drifters Band

15-Bingo by Sharon, Metropolis Rehab

17-Devotional Program by Pastor Larry Buckles

19-Karaoke music by Donald Koch & his many hats. Come on over Fred, Helen, Toni, & Troy, we can sing, dance,& visit.

24-Nurse Nan, VNA TIP, will be here doing meds.

29-Bingo by Diversified Rehab & October Birthday Bingo

31-Music by the very talented Kathy Brey.

On September 21st we were entertained by Donald Koch, his many hats & his karaoke machine, Toni & Troy Wilburn (Mo.) joined him.

On September 26th we were entertained with lovely music by Kathy Brey. Also nurse Nan, VNA TIP was here doing meds.

September 28th   we were   entertained by Linda & Dorothy from New Bethel Baptist Church with great devotional music.

Our special need prayers are for Sarah Gordon, Vickie Walls, Les Honey, Dorothy Gibbs,  Artie Dickerson, Nurse Barbara,  Doc Bagbey,  Bob Jones, Neill Taylor,  Genny Hartman, Brenda Cobbs, & Pearl Vaughn.

Pray for our Country & Leaders, our Churches, Troops, Vets, needs of the Mounds library & building, funds & good homes for the “Second-Hand Angels” & Ms Birdie, Kitty City, family, friends, understanding, patience, & consideration of others, & better weather.

Save on your bills, come join us for our programs, visit with your friends, eat our meals, stay & join the after lunch crowd in fun & games, or stop by the library visit with Ms Linda & check on job applications . See you soon at Smiles, stay safe, weather radio, smoke alarm & carbon monoxide detector on. Check on your pets, neighbors, family, friends, & elderly. Have a wonderful week, count your many blessings each & every day! And may God bless America!! He has blessed us!!!

Happy Days: Oct 11, 2012

by: Mary Feissinger
Well, I believe it is getting to be time to keep our coats out. Although the weatherman said after this cold spell it was suppose to turn back hot again.  We will have our senior fest Thursday, Sept. 11th at Shawnee College.  It will be 9:00 until 1:00 P. M.  Our theme this year will be not too old to play.  They say for you to wear your old clothes.  Tommy and Vickie Ice will return to St. Louis, Mo. Oct, 10th for him to have more tests.  This is his birthday and we are praying that he will get a good report.  Of course he won’t get the results until a later date.

We want to keep their family in our prayers. Edith Ice has been under the weather lately so we want to say an extra prayer for her.  Also we want to keep the family of Joan Hill in our prayers.  My son, David, came down to visit me Sat. We had a real nice visit and went out to eat.  He had been rather busy for a long period of time.  We want to keep all our fellow seniors in our prayers.  They are June Laughlin, Kathryn Eppes, Nanie White, Louise Sims, Shirley Keith Patsy Simmons, Helen Winkler, Mae Fleming.

Those still requesting prayer are Jack and Margaret Baur, Barbara Hoppe, Mike and Bunny Ice, Wila Coardes, Terry Peeks, Bill and Marion Rose, Mary Satterfield, Dolly Achenbach, Joe and Geraldine Nelson, Rosemary Peeks, Gerald West, Roosevelt Clayton, James Whitfield, Frankie Carlton, Tom and Dorothy Hoskins, Garrett Valentine, Gary Carlton, Tom Stuart, James Box, Sam Brim, Denny Brown, Curtis and Maxine Davis, Randy Mollankamp, Larry Mcalister, Arthur Stevenson, Diane Cross.

Continuing with those needing prayer are Bill Edwards, Bob and Anne Simpson, Gloria Carlton, Bob Hogan, Doris Bland, Karla Aponte Walter and Glenda Mcalister, Olevia Matthews, Shelby Johnson, Billy and Janet Ranks, Loretta Wallace, Theresa Delsoin, Nancy Stuart, Linda Tinsley, Tina Johnson, Chris Wade, Brenda Bruce, Ed Hoskins, Polly Stuart, Donna Furlow Pete Johnson, Fred Moallankamp, Doc Bagby, Quaelin Nelson, Betty Armstrong, Jerry Kepner, Neill Taylor, Charles Price, Bobby Cunningham and Stanley Newell.
Come and have lunch with us at Happy Days.  The cost of the meals for seniors is $3.00.  For those under the senior age the cost is $6.00.  Until next time, remember God loves you and we do too.  SMILE and make or be a friend.  Pray for our country, troops, and the unemployed.
See ya at Happy Days

NAACP hosts dinner, presents scholarships

Richard Grigsby, left, prepares for the NAACP benefit dinner Oct. 6 at the Cairo Junior / Senior High School. During the dinner, Grigsby announced the first of what he hopes to be a regularly offered set of scholarships. The NAACP opened an essay competition to area schools on the topic of “The Importance of Voting.” The first place essayist received $100 from the NAACP. The group also awarded 2nd, 3rd and two fourth place awards. – Isaac Smith | The Cairo Citizen
Richard Grigsby, right, presents a plaque to Illinois state senator Donne Trotter Oct. 6 during the NAACP benefit dinner at the Cairo Junior Senior High School. – photo provided by Tyrone Coleman

Fall Fun for Cairo Junior / Senior High

Georgiante Purdiman, right, dances Oct. 4 outside of the Cairo Junior / Senior High School during the school’s fall festival. The festival, held before a long holiday weekend, took the students out of class early for the day and gave them the chance to dance, play games and eat snacks before heading home. – Isaac Smith | The Cairo Citizen

Special spices satisfy customers

Bobbie Thompson, of Cairo, prepares fried chicken Oct. 8 at the Cut Mart gas station in Cairo. Thompson has been working at Cut Mart for a year and makes lunch for customers half the week. Thompson said she gets all kinds of people in during the week and said they come in because they know she makes the chicken with her secret spices. “Some people are picky about where they eat.” — Lynnette Oostmeyer | The Cairo Citizen

Getting back into the goat business

David McDowell keeps ten goats in a pen behind his home in Urbandale. — Isaac Smith | The Cairo Citizen
David McDowell, 58, takes a goat from its pen to be milked Oct. 3 in Urbandale. McDowell, who lives alone, said it has been more than ten years since he has raised goats but he got back into the business In January. McDowell said he keeps ten goats for fresh milk and for something to do. McDowell advertises his fresh milk for sale outside his home. He said he typically only gets 3-4 customers a week.— Isaac Smith | The Cairo Citizen
David McDowell milks one of his ten goats Oct. 3 in Urbandale. McDowell said during the 6-8 month milking season, he gets 4 quarts from his goats once a day. McDowell prefers goat milk to cow milk both because of its taste and because it is easier on his stomach. – Isaac Smith | The Cairo Citizen

Heather On Health: Self Determination Theory

by: Heather Carney, MPH student, SIU

What motivates us?  What drives us to make positive changes in our health?  Why are we sometimes reluctant, while other times inspired to move forward in our journey towards health and wellness?  There are many health behavior theories that can help us with the answers to these questions.  Self Determination Theory was initially developed by Edward L. Deci and Richard M. Ryan at the University of Rochester.  Specifically looking at Self Determination Theory there are three components that must exist in order to motivate us to make a decision related to health behavior.  The first component, autonomy relates to our personal freedom and will, our desire to do a certain thing.  For example, if you are motivated to accomplish a task without any external forces (parent, supervisor, mentor) simply because of the satisfaction and enjoyment (playing a sport for the enjoyment of the game).  According to Webster’s Dictionary, the second component of SDT, competency, is having suitable or sufficient skill, knowledge, experience, etc., for some purpose; properly qualified.  For example, if a person feels competent about running a 5K, they are confident that they are able to reach that goal because of their skill or past experience. The third element of SDT is relatedness, which centers on the connectedness to the health behavior and those around you making this same decision.  For example, there is strong relatedness within a family who decides to make healthy choices together to change their eating habits and incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables in their meals.

In reflecting on your own life, and your motivation (or lack thereof) to make a change within your personal health, take a look at these three areas: autonomy, competency, and relatedness.  If you are not motivated to make a positive health change (whatever it may be) ask yourself if you can change the dynamics of one of these components.  As for autonomy, look at doing things that you take pleasure in (whether it is cooking foods you like and modifying them to be healthier or getting exercise by doing something you already enjoy).  You can build your level of competency through education and practice, allowing yourself the opportunity to gain knowledge and skill.  You can also create more relatedness by inviting friends or family to join you in your health journey.

Self Determination Theory is also helpful in looking at creating opportunities for others to make healthy behavior changes (both youth and adult).  Remember this when trying to help others on their health journey whether they are family, friends, co-workers, or students.  We are motivated by doing something that is enjoyable (autonomy), something that we are good at (competency), and something that we feel connected to (relatedness).

Now, ask yourself, “What are you motivated to do?”

Shriners celebrate 100 years

Ainad Shriners are celebrating their 100th anniversary throughout Southern Illinois during 2012. The anniversary year is full of events in which the public is encouraged to participate.  We will be starting our celebration with a parade in Effingham and membership drive.  On June 1st, we will be hosting our 100th Anniversary parade in Belleville, Illinois.  This “kicks off” our circuses over nine days and six cities throughout Southern Illinois.  We will be in Belleville, Waterloo, Jerseyville, Olney, Salem and DuQuoin.  Then, throughout the summer come see us at your local festival or homecoming.  Listen to our drum corps, hum a tune to our band, watch our motor cycle units, laugh at a clown and take a picture with a furry animal.

Ainad Shriners was created with 105 members beginning on May 8, 1912.  However, an initial committee of 35 businessmen discussed the possibility of joining a new organization within the Masonic Fraternity in order to promote fun and fellowship.  This meeting was held on Friday evening, Apr. 19, 1912. Through affiliations from surrounding Shrine Temples in Illinois and Missouri and with applications by new individuals, an additional 154 members were admitted into the new fraternal organization.  By December 1913, membership had increased to 259 and was granted a charter into Shriners International on May 13, 1913. Ainad Shriners became temple number 130 throughout the United States and the fourth of five temples in the State of Illinois.

The new fraternal organization was named “Ainad,” after the Arabic word for “obstinacy.”  The name was given to the organization by the Imperial organization during the national convention in Los Angeles on May 7, 1912.

Thomas L. Fekete was the first Ainad potentate (leader), serving as the temporary leader until the charter was issued on May 13, 1913. Mr. Fekete then served as the Illustrious Potentate for the charter year of 1913.

The Shriners met regularly at the Scottish Rite Temple at 14th & College in East St. Louis, IL.  Occasionally the group met at the Missouri Athletic Association (Club) in St. Louis as well as offices of members who had businesses in East St. Louis from 1912 until 1923. The existing temple, or Shrine Center, started construction in June 1922 and ended by September 1923 and still stands at 609 St. Louis Ave. in East St. Louis, Ill. The building was dedicated on November 24, 1922 and remains the largest auditorium in the city.

Designed in the Moorish style of architecture, the building was erected in response to a growing need for a public venue for conventions, sporting and social gatherings in the community. Notable St. Louis Architects William B. Ittner and A. B. Frankel with Associated Architects designed the building.  Jesse I. Gedney owner of Gedney Contracting was selected at the construction superintendent.  On a side note, A.B. Frankel and Jesse I. Gedney were intimately familiar with the organization as they were Shriners.  Throughout the building’s 90-year history, the Ainad Shriners’ organization sponsored or contracted with groups such as the Business and Professional Women’s Club, Daughters of the American Revolution, Illinois State Federation of Labor and numerous others to hold boxing matches, circuses, dances and proms for the East St. Louis High School, pageants, ice cream socials, Shrine band and drum corps concerts, wrestling matches, public forums for politicians, mayoral balls, country western concerts for Lee Greenwood and Mel Tillis, and trade show exhibitions.

The first non-Masonic function held at the new building was a dinner and dance sponsored by the members from 124th Field Artillery Post American Legion, November 10,1923 in the newly erected building. The first sporting event was a basketball game between East St. Louis and Greenville High Schools on January 23,1924.  During the month of December, the Elks club held their annual fashion and bazaar from the 10th through the15th.

The Shriners had numerous committees to provide additional support for the activities of the growing membership.  These were by-laws, charitable, entertainment, hotel, membership, transportation and special functions of the membership.  Any individual from the floor could present an idea and then according to Roberts Rule of Order follow through.  The Potentate appointed any special committees to investigate an idea or solution to an issue regarding the membership.  Having a committee was the preferred method of handling an issue, which still exists today.

Public entertainment was no stranger to the new fraternal organization.  In 1916, the organization opened to the public for the purpose of hosting minstrels as a fundraiser.  These were often popular for an evening out for membership and those who wanted to be entertained.  Ainad Shriners’ first circus (a tradition that continues today in several Southern Illinois communities) started on January 21, 1922.  The John W. Moore Co. from Chicago provided the circus entertainment.  The Union Trust Building in East St. Louis was the site for the circus.  It ran for seven nights in the auditorium.

Traveling to events for the shrine was not a small undertaking.  Railroads were the means and mode for transporting individuals as well as large groups.  Throughout the history of Ainad Shriners there was a committee who handled the travel arrangements for the temple.  Each year the incoming potentate would appoint a new committee chairman for the purpose of handling the annual pilgrimage (national convention).  The chairman would work with the Illinois Central, Chicago & Alton, Michigan Central, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati & Chicago Railroad companies as well as countless others.  The membership would travel in class by riding in Pullman cars.  Members who lived in East St. Louis would take the train from the East St. Louis Relay Depot while others would travel from their communities to East St. Louis.  Travel on trains was more economical and by the 1960s air transportation as well as the new interstate highway system was changing the way individuals and groups traveled.

On March 18, 1924, Major Frank L. Reardon addressed Ainad Shriners on behalf of the War Department requesting the permission to use Ainad Temple as a mobilization point in case of war, for infantry and artillery regiments. During World War II the building was used as a mustering, or gathering of units, prior to departure for the European or Asian theaters for battle. Units would drill in the auditorium as well as the basement. Additionally, the U.S. Army had a communications unit there during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. The building was also the regional headquarters for Civil Defense, used until the mid-1970’s.

Ainad Shriners supported local charities from 1912 to 1922 throughout Southern Illinois. Often the Shriners provided support to local and national organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America, Elks, Knights of Columbus, St. Clair County Humane Society, St. Clair County Tuberculosis Society, United Jewish Relief Fund and countless others.  Whenever there was a natural disaster in the area the call for action was placed to the members.  Those who did not ask were approached and monetary or living expenses were provided. Then, beginning in 1923, the fraternal organization supported the newly created Shriners Hospital in Shreveport, La., which was created in response to the rapid spread of polio and other pediatric and orthopedic medical issues.  The first Shriners hospital was established by September 16, 1922. However, this charitable giving has not stopped but continues today.

On June 1, 1924, the Ainad Shriners band, drum corps and patrol units participated in a parade for sole purpose of dedicating the opening of Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children, formerly located off of Kingshighway in St. Louis. The units provided entertainment following the dedication ceremonies.  Today, 22 Shriners Hospitals for Children are located throughout North America.  The hospital system has evolved over 90 years to provide medical care for burn victims, spinal cord injuries, cleft lip and pallet in addition to pediatric and orthopedic medical issues.

Today, Ainad Shriners is the ninth largest temple of 195 Shrine centers throughout the world. With a membership of approximately 4,600, Ainad is the largest of the five Shrine centers in Illinois.  During the late 1970’s, its membership grew too as many as 10,000 throughout Southern Illinois.

Over the past 100 years, Shriners have been active throughout Southern Illinois in parades, festivals, paper crusades and membership ceremonials. Ainad Shriners are all Free Masons who reside in virtually every community of Southern Illinois.  Many of these men were founding fathers of numerous municipalities leaving their legacy and passing from one generation to the next.  These men exemplified the application of Masonic teachings of truth, brotherly love, helping others and affirming that all mankind is created equal.  Shriners are generally active in most every type of business, profession, and field of endeavor. Shriners are often leaders in their respective fields and in the various churches, civic organizations, and service clubs of their community.   If you would like to know more information regarding membership in Shriners, go to our website